ACCENTUS Music was launched in 2010, and quickly established itself as an important label on the classical music market. It is also a distinguished production company with a very experienced team of producers, directors, camera operators, audio producers and editors. Based in Leipzig, a classical music centre, ACCENTUS Music produces high profile concert recordings from across the world as well as feature-length documentaries and portraits.
Mission and approach
ACCENTUS Music approached WildKat PR in autumn 2010 to handle a European-wide press campaign for the label’s launch and following the successful launch, for all subsequent DVD releases. Our brief was to raise awareness of the newly established company, as well as executing a mail-out of their first four releases which included DVDs from Claudio Abbado and the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela and a recital DVD from Daniel Barenboim. We produced press releases in all languages of European countries in which ACCENTUS have released productions, and worked closely with their team in Leipzig and distributors across Europe. Using our strong links with classical music publications and writers we secured interviews and features for the label’s founder and managing director Paul Smaczny. In order to build the reputation of the DVD label we ensured that all key music critics internationally received copies of the ACCENTUS Music releases, securing reviews across a variety of on and offline publications. WildKat PR were also responsible for devising and managing ACCENTUS Music’s social media strategy, creating a YouTube channel for the label to share the DVD trailers, which now has over 72,000 views. Not only are WildKat PR responsible for media relations and press liaison for the company, but throughout our work together, we have advised the production company on all aspects of branding and content, from marketing and distribution to content creation for their website, DVD booklets and social media platforms. In 2011 we secured a window display of ACCENTUS Music releases with Dussmann, Berlin’s largest bookstore, during the Christmas season, and a number of DVD giveaway competitions which have allowed fans to engage directly with the label. The continued high level of press coverage we have achieved for the label and its releases has consistently mirrored the excellent quality of ACCENTUS Music’s productions, seeing a number of 5* reviews and award nominations throughout Europe, including the Gramophone and BBC Music Magazine Awards and the ICMA Award.
- Launch interviews and features in Classical Music Magazine, BBC Music Magazine and more.
- DVD reviews in national newspapers including the Financial Times.
- DVD reviews in all leading classical music publications in the UK, including Gramophone Magazine, BBC Music Magazine, Classic FM Magazine, International Record review and more.
- DVD reviews in international publications including Fono Forum, Rondo and the Wiener Zeitung.
- Features and DVD reviews on numerous leading international blogs including The Arts Desk and Classical Source.
- DVD previews on BBC Radio 3 programmes including CD Review and In Tune.
- Features on NDR and MDR for ACCENTUS Music releases.
- Created and managed social media strategy for ACCENTUS Music, including content production and channel monitoring.
- Built and managed a YouTube channel on behalf of the label which now has more than 72,000 views.
- Sought competition opportunities online, offering signed DVDs via channels such as Classic FM’s website and leading cultural blogs, achieving more than 1,500 entries, raising awareness of the label and its productions with a wide audience.
- Winner ICMA (International Classical Music Awards) 2012 'DVD of the Year' for Claudio Abbado & Lucerne Festival Orchestra: Mahler 9.
- Winner June 2011 – Diapason D’Or for ACCENTUS Music’s Claudio Abbado & Lucerne Festival Orchestra: Mahler 9.
- Shortlisted October 2011 – Gramophone Award for Claudio Abbado & Lucerne Festival Orchestra: Mahler 9. [2 votes separating ACCENTUS Music DVD and winner].
- Winner 2012 – BBC Music Magazine Award for Claudio Abbado & Lucerne Festival Orchestra: Mahler 9.
- Winner Gramophone Award 2012 'DVD performance' for Claudio Abbado & Lucerne Festival Orchestra: Bruckner 5.