WildKat Welcomes Back [email protected], as they bring a unique programme of thought-provoking concerts, talks and outreach events online for the first time
Founded in 2011, [email protected] brings excellence to people’s doorsteps and has built its audiences from scratch, bringing world-class musicians to West Malling and its surrounding villages: an area with rich cultural heritage and set in an outstanding natural environment. [email protected] has developed a reputation for innovative and bespoke programming in its concerts and outreach, featuring the music of contemporary composers alongside classical, jazz, world and film music. [email protected] has a festival each September and a number of satellite concerts and outreach events running across the year.
Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic, all of [email protected]’s activities will be available to watch online with a virtual festival from 16th-18th October 2020 and an ongoing series of events to reach wider audiences from the comfort of their homes. At Home with [email protected] will launch in August 2020, with concerts, talks, workshops and participatory events for everyone to enjoy online. Moving forwards, this will continue to run alongside all [email protected] live events.
WildKat is delighted to welcome back [email protected], as we work with them on UK PR for the festival and online ongoing content now that [email protected] has announced At Home with [email protected]
Running from 16th – 18th October, At Home With [email protected] will feature concerts, talks and outreach in historic venues in and around West Malling, Kent. Concerts are available online with a paywall to watch live or on catch up. All outreach events and talks are free to watch. Highlights include:
- Beethoven Plus – the launch of an ongoing series exploring the Beethoven Sonatas for piano, violin and cello
- Profiles of contemporary composers Mark-Anthony Turnage and Brian Elias online and live including interviews, playlists and concerts
- A virtual performance of Eleanor Alberga – Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs will be the start of an education project for 20 primary schools based around Road Dahl – Revolting Rhymes run in conjunction with Kent Music
- Side-by-Side Online – a series of events enabling talented young musicians to work with and perform alongside outstanding professional musicians and ensembles including workshops with Nigel Short and Tenebrae (vocal), Thomas Kemp and Chamber Domaine (strings) and James Pearson and the Ronnie Scott’s All Stars (jazz)
- Go Compose Online – a series of events enabling young music creators to compose a new piece mentored by professional composers and instrumentalists
- Six Brandburgs: Six Commissions – [email protected] will return to live performance in April 2021 celebrating the 300th anniversary of Bach’s Six Brandenburg Concertos with six new commissions by composers Brian Elias, Deborah Prichard, Daniel Kidane, Joseph Phibbs, Michael Price and Stevie Wishart. The concerts will be in the iconic setting of Malling Abbey and will include outreach events
- Turnage at 60: a weekend exploring Mark-Anthony Turnage’s music and musical influences including the world premiere of Concertino for Clarinet and Chamber Orchestra with Jon Carnac and Chamber Domaine in May 2021
“The lockdown has been an incredibly difficult period for the arts and particularly for musicians who thrive on live performance and rely on it for their incomes” says [email protected] Artistic Director Thomas Kemp. “It is fantastic that [email protected] can use this as an opportunity to develop its online presence, reach new audiences and engage young people in creative activities online as well as financially support outstanding musicians. It is vital that we incorporate technology into our work and I am sure that At Home with Music @Malling will reflect what we are all about – bringing excellence to people’s doorsteps and making great music as accessible as possible.”